Tuesday 2 June 2009

Treasures From My Travels

During my time living, and working in Bangladesh, I was fortunate enough to spend a lot of my time travelling. Of course I picked up a few treasures along the way which I thought I'd share with you. Above is my absolute favourite find - it's a Russian submarine clock! It is so heavy I daren't put it on my wall , so for now it has found a home on a kitchen shelf.

Surprisingly Dhaka has several antique style markets. They are full of old shipping fixtures and fittings as many ships end up in Bangladesh to be broken up. When I could bear the heat (I am your picture postcard Scot....pale skin and red hair!) I could happily spend many an hour searching these markets. It was in such a market that I found the brass lantern, the spice tin and the Captains clock.




I was so lucky to get the opportunity to visit Nepal. It is such a magical place. People living in poverty but with great spirit and humility. It was there that I found my wonderful Buddha. This also weighs a tonne and Mr Novice had to carry it all the way back to Dhaka in his hand luggage. I was grateful of course!!

Hope you are all still enjoying the sunny weather! Speak soon!



No comments: